Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ethical Companies

Ethical companies are a main focal point of my universe and have been for my entire adult life. I owned an organic flower business, helped start a fair trade importing venture, sold renewable energy, etc. etc.

And... most of my friends and loved ones seem to be doing the same. In fact, maybe the whole world is doing the same... because when I look in portals or write "ethical companies" in search of a job, they are choosing from 300 highly qualified applicants. Even jobs in non-profits that pay low salaries or even no salaries are highly competitive.

Energetic smart people don't just want to make money, they want to make a difference. We think about huge financial firms, and oil companies and car manufacturers as places we could never work because they are "unethical." They are exploitive and unsustainable.

So we passionately throw ourselves into: consulting for non-profits, marketing fair trade handbags, making organic flaxseed crackers, promoting an ethical tv station... this is work we feel good about.

But... what do these ethical companies do for their devoted employees? It is now the second time this year and one of many times in my life when I have seen an "ethical company" sacrifice its employees for the "vision."

I was kind-of-hired by an ethical online TV station a few months ago. I loved the mission -give people alternatives to crap TV, TV with consciousness, use it to promote other ethical companies through advertising - it was so great. We skyped about goals and job roles, drafted contracts, trained me, put my bio on their website.

It went on for months without anything ever getting signed and without me ever getting paid. Answers were," Oh, yes we really need to get that going, probably next week." Well, trusting them on their word, I went to live in a foreign country, knowing that the income would be there "next week..."

After two weeks in Panama, they finally told me in response to my pressing insistence on a contract and pay, "The truth is, we just don't have the budget to hire you." Then, in the silence, the CEO added, "But if you really do want to start working on good faith, you're really welcome to. I just can't promise that you'll get paid."

...Is that "ethical"?

My boyfriend was also hired by this company, only he managed to get a contract and pay, thank goodness, since we share bills. His first salary was transferred 2 weeks late. Apologies... it will never happen again. The second month, he sent his "invoice" (he is not actually an employee, but a "contractor" so the "ethical company" won't have to pay taxes for him.). There was a follow up, "ok. We'll get it to you." A week went by. Two weeks went by. Follow up emails were unanswered. Three weeks went by.

Finally, a response to an email cc'd to everyone who had any influence in the company. A skype call with the CEO: "Yeah, we're really sorry. The truth is that we ran out of money two months ago because an investor bailed. I will pay you as soon as I can but there's a small chance I won't be able to pay you at all."

This got me reflecting... every "ethical company" I have ever known has put the "vision" before its employees. I was even guilty of it when running Sarah's Flowers. It's that the founder feels so inspired and sure of their purpose, its almost righteousness, and there's a feeling that of course everyone will want to help. The ones I choose will be lucky to be a part of this.

So maybe we are wrong... The "conscious" young talent of my generation. Maybe we underestimate those car factories and oil companies that pay regular salaries and health insurance. It's not that I am suggesting "selling out," but no idea is worth slavery. And any company who thinks its okay to skip on paying an employee in chasing Utopia, is defeating its own objective with every step it takes.

No comments: