Thursday, January 31, 2008

I'm I old enough to be 25?

This is my second day being 25 years old.

As I wrote 2 years ago, I have a theory about age: that at some point, its just another year tacked onto a number: it stops meaning something - stops being an indicator of increased development.

I want to really feel that I've earned my 25 years and that I've packed in enough growth and wisdom the last year to merit the addition to my age.

I don't know if I've done it. What is certain is that I don't feel 24. 24 is too young, too searching, undefined and uncertain to be what I am now. But 25? Isn't this when I'm supposed to start "settling down" or something? I guess what's most uncomfortable about this increase in age is it seems to represent closed doors - forgone opportunities. I will never be 24 again. Did I do it right? There were so many other things I could have done with this year. There are millions of 24 year olds who've put different experiences in their lives. Someone made a million dollars when they were 24. Someone won an olympic gold medal when they were 24. Someone had their second child, someone made a music album, someone won a surfing competition, someone published their first book. When I was 6 years old, all of those and a billion more possibilities were in front of me. Now they are behind me and they will never happen.

I am of course, proud of my choices. I have carefully, consciously taken the steps that have led me here. I think I'm ready to be 25. But I'm not sure that 25 is an age I've earned, more like one that I will live up to.

I had such a lovely birthday. I received so many birthday wishes through email and facebook. Peep and my mom showered me with love and generosity. I was spoiled. Maybe I'm not sure if I feel 25, but I definitely feel like a princess.

No comments: