Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Next Adventure Begins in 3 Days

I am moving to Panama. I will meet Peep on Friday morning at the Houston airport and we will fly together to Panama city to see what life is there and to partake of it. We have gotten in touch with some very gracious AIESEC Alum who've said they'll help us get situated.

Everyone asks me, "So what's in Panama?" "Why Panama?" These questions put me on the spot and make my ears go red because I don't have any kind of answer that is conventionally a good reason to go. But this is how it came to be.

Peep and I want to be together, but both the USA and EU are difficult to work in for foreigners and they are expensive. I also feel that it would be nice to try out what life is like with each other when not influenced by either homeland (and not restricted by Islamic laws, as in Dubai). We can see what its like to just be us and be free.

I want to be fluent in Spanish. I have been speaking it since I was 2 and I've never really been able to speak it. Khalas! Time to learn!

Panama seems like a great dream to go after. I have no idea what it will be like, but maybe it will be really relaxed -have some Caribbean vibe. Maybe there will be really good cheap street food. Maybe the beaches will be gorgeous with crystal teal water. Maybe there are awesome people there waiting to be my friends. Maybe I will learn history and culture and geography about a place about which I now can only claim ignorance. Maybe we will get dressed up in glitter and feathers for Carnaval. Maybe I will become a rum connoisseur. Maybe we will live in an apartment that is in walking distance from a lot of cool places with an extra bedroom. Maybe my friends and family will visit me and share in my adventure.

No comments: