Thursday, March 24, 2011

Birth and Death

It occurred to me while I was pregnant that there is a profound parallel here.

While pregnant, I could feel the spirit of the one coming (every woman I know has felt this)

I began to have this eerie feeling: Here I was, walking around in the world and my baby was with me - I felt him - but he was not aware at all of where we were. Looking at the situation in terms of physics, the baby was inside of me and I was walking in the park, therefore the baby was also moving through the park.

It struck me that he was existing on a parallel plane - those parallel universes we talk about in terms of science fiction actually happen in a practical, observable way. He was here but he wasn't at the same time - and that perhaps in this experience I was so privileged to partake in, there was some enlightenment about how we travel to and from this world.

People who have near death experiences often describe travelling through a tunnel toward a bright light. That is also what birth is. The baby, all of sudden, on one fateful day feels called (or is pushed?) through a tunnel toward a very bright light.

Those who have come close to death and come back say they could feel loved ones on the other side waiting to greet them. That is birth - he came out stunned, brand new, and we who knew he was coming caught him in our lovingly awaiting arms.

Now he looks around at the world as though he's never seen it - but he was with me all along. And there were brief instances when the worlds crossed. He always kicked in response to his daddy's loud booming response and it still arrests his attention and gets him squirming. His active time in the womb is still his most restless out here. I wonder then, if that's what our miraculous moments are - when we just "know" not to go that way or when we suddenly feel the presence of a long dead loved one in the room with us - if we are also walking parallel with the spirit world but we just can't see it. And perhaps there are people who know our fate and our watching us develop, and are preparing for the moment when we, scared and unknowing, will birth ourselves back into their world.

No comments: